Job Opportunity : Advocacy and Regulations Manager
Job Title: Advocacy and Regulations Manager
Reports to: PIJAC Canada President & CEO
Employment Type: Full-time
Do you love pets? Have you always dreamt of going to work with your dog? PIJAC Canada may be the perfect environment for you! Here at PIJAC Canada, we enjoy working as a team to achieve the common goal of ensuring the highest level of pet care in the industry.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Advocacy and Regulations Manager. Reporting to the President and CEO, you will be responsible for managing PIJAC Canada’s governmental affairs, industry regulations and advocacy activities, turning them into specific actions ensuring the best possible representation for legislative and policy issues affecting the members of PIJAC Canada and the wellbeing of Canada’s pets. Since PIJAC Canada is a bilingual organization, the Advocacy and Regulations Manager must be able to correspond with members and stakeholders in French and English in both written and spoken form.
Highlights of Responsibilities:
- Lead PIJAC Canada’s policy work on federal, provincial and municipal issues and assist in formulating various initiatives;
- Work directly with government agencies and other industry stakeholder associations to support actions which are in the best interest of animals and public safety;
- Act as bilingual media spokesperson ensuring that PIJAC Canada’s positions represent the needs of pet industry businesses, and the well-being of pets in Canada;
- Actively monitor government and business and advocacy trends pertaining to pet business sector in Canada;
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to the development of internal and external communication to PIJAC Canada members and the media including online and social media channels;
- Work with PIJAC Canada members to gather quantitative and qualitative research and analysis issues of relevance;
- Prepare written communications—letters, briefs, reports, presentations—reflecting research results;
- Keep up to date with pertinent legislation, trade trends and developments in government policy and determine relevancy to PIJAC Canada’s members and the health of pets;
- Assist with responding to regulatory or advocacy-based inquiries from PIJAC Canada members;
- Engage PIJAC Canada staff and Board members when necessary, in the development of the organization’s legislative affairs agenda;
- Manage, coach, mentor PIJAC Canada members to help them navigate issues in an effective way.
- Strong research, analytical and planning skills to help shape the issues agenda for PIJAC Canada;
- Superior communication and presentation skills with the ability to write reports, briefs and prepare easily understandable material for presentation to other employees, members, the general public, as well as to government and other interest groups;
- Demonstrated experience in public policy, research, economic or legislative environment;
- Understanding of Canada’s pet sector as well as an interest in government relations and public policy;
- Superior written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Commitment to accuracy and thoroughness;
- Work well interdependently in a collaborative and cross-functional environment with colleagues across the country;
- Work effectively to meet tight and shifting deadlines;
- Ability to use good judgment in dealings with all contacts to maintain the professional image of PIJAC Canada;
- Important to be proactive, a self-starter and effective self-manager;
- Familiarity or experience working in a not-for-profit environment or association an asset;
- Post-secondary degree in political science, economics, public policy, business administration or equivalent is considered an asset;
- Bilingual in French and English, written and spoken.
About PIJAC Canada:
PIJAC Canada (The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council of Canada) is a non-profit organization that represents and promotes all facets of the pet industry. Our mission is to offer guidance and resources to pet businesses and help advance the well-being of Canada’s animals. As a non-profit, we represent over 900 members coast to coast and believe working together is the key to positive pet experiences and successful pet businesses.
At PIJAC Canada we pride ourselves on taking a proactive approach supporting pet businesses and the advancement of animal care across Canada and around the world, through education, pet industry trade shows and foreign missions.
PIJAC Canada offers great benefits, including a comprehensive benefit package which covers medical and dental care and a pension plan, all paid for by the association. We believe that a work-life balance is a major component in a healthy work environment. Our pet friendly workspace also creates an uplifting work atmosphere that makes you excited to come into work every day.
Excited about this opportunity? Submit your resume to email@example.com ! Due to high volumes, we will only be in contact with selected candidates and ask not to call. We appreciate your interest in exploring an opportunity with us.